The Taranaki Sustainable Backyards Trail is an annual event run by Sustainable Taranaki to celebrate local efforts in sustainability and inspire people to make lifestyle changes in order to live more sustainable lives. The Trail involves individuals, families and community organisations generously opening their ‘backyards' to the public to inspire us with their creativity, innovation and dedication to living a more sustainable lifestyle. For more information, go to www.sustainablebackyards.org.nz.
Join the Sustainable Backyards Trail to:
• Explore working productive gardens and eco-homes
• Engage with hosts to find out about how they got to where they are, and what’s next in their sustainability journey
• Gain tips and ideas to make sustainable changes in your own life.
Each backyard on the Trail showcases a range of green living practices - from solar panels and eco-homes to bio-intensive vegetable production and bees. With urban and rural properties, the Trail offers a wide range of examples of what everyday people can do to reduce their impact on the environment and get involved in their community.
When touring the Sustainable Backyards Trail remember to
• Carry coins for garden entry, as entry is by gold coin donation. Purchase of plants, seeds and other items is available at some properties by cash sale only.
• Respect the opening hours and set tour times on offer by our garden hosts. Each garden is open only on select days and times.
• Arrive 10 minutes before tour, talk and demonstration times. Where tour times are not in listings, these will be provided informally throughout the day.
• Wear appropriate footwear, especially around rural properties and on wet days. Gumboots or study boots are recommended.